Sales Tip # 9 – Stop Thinking
Just stop thinking.
You did the analytics. You did the risk analysis. You know what can go wrong. You know you need to take action but you can’t stop thinking about what can go wrong, about what you may have missed.
You know you need to make that cold call but all you can focus on is the rejection. You cannot stop thinking about all the ways someone can reject you.
You want to call your accountant (financial advisor, friend, business associate) and ask for the referral. You can’t stop thinking about how asking makes you feel weak or what they might think of you for asking.
I could go on but you get the message.
There are things we want to do, we have to do, to get the results we want. Yet we don’t take action. We are afraid. We are afraid of what others might think, what they might do, or a whole host of others fears that are unlikely to happen.
Stop thinking and just do!
When I think about doing cold call I starting thinking of every reason someone won’t talk to me and I make every excuse to not pick up the phone. When I stop thinking about calling and just do it I have no problem picking up the phone.
When you see that beautiful girl, don’t think about it – just ask her out.
When you go to a networking event, don’t think about it – just introduce yourself to someone and find out how easy it is.
Here are some thoughts and beliefs I use to help and you might find them useful:
- If I am uncomfortable about something I assume there is a special gift on the other side so I just do it. Be reasonable. I am not talking about jumping out of a plane without a parachute.
- If I feel this way others do too. I am not alone. Others have overcome their fears and I can overcome mine.
- I surround myself with others who support reasonable risk taking.
- I ask for feedback and question the reason for the fear with my coach and advisor.
- I try to do something daily that makes me uncomfortable. I take action and when I am successful I wonder what it was that I was afraid of.
- I look for reasons it can and will work.
I was recently at a networking event and I received a great testimonial from one of my clients. Shortly thereafter I received a call from a business associate who wanted to know how much it was to join my program. I did not answer the question. Since I know him I asked him this question: You like to think. If you are willing to stop thinking and take action you will do well in my program. Are you willing to stop thinking?
His response was, “That will be hard for me.”
I love his honesty. He is joining and he knows what he has to do.
Can you be that honest?
Stop thinking and answer the question! No excuses!
To your success,
Contact me now for your free sales assessment: email@example.com